The first women only PWA World Cup was held at Moulay, on Morocco's Western coast. Well known for reliable winds and powerful, clean atlantic surf, Morocco is home to world renowned World Cup sailor Boujmaa Guilloul, whose extreme style has attracted a huge following over the years.
Sarah-Quita Offringa improved with each heat she sailed in Morocco and for a long time, it looked as though she may deny both of the Moreno twins. While both Iballa and Daida opted to be more selective and patient, Offringa chose to stay busy and for a long time it looked as though those tactics were going to pay off, however, she couldn’t quite hold on as Iballa fought back to clinch top spot. However, Offringa will be delighted with her start to the season as she equals her best start to a wave season - 2nd - after also finishing 2nd during the 2016 Gran Canaria Wind & Waves Festival.
Result 2018 Morocco PWA World Cup - Women’s Wave
- 1st Iballa Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)
- 2nd Sarah-Quita Offringa (Starboard / NeilPryde / Maui Ultra Fins)
- 3rd Daida Moreno (Starboard / Severne / Maui Ultra Fins)
- 4th Lina Erpenstein (Severne / Severne Sails) 5th Marine Hunter (KA Sail)
- 5th Maria Andres (Fanatic / NorthSails)
Text and photos adapted from PWA.